- March 19, 2013, Claudia Hine
The Society of Vacuum Coaters, Albuquerque, NM, will hold TechCon 2013 on April 20–25 at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence. The event includes a Technical Program and an Education Program with 26 tutorial courses, as well as a two-day Technology Exhibit that takes place April 23–24.
The Omni Providence Hotel, attached to the convention center, is the headquarters hotel. Nearby hotels featuring an SVC TechCon room rate include the Hilton Providence and the Downtown Providence Courtyard by Marriott.
This year’s conference features two application-specific themes, which are embodied by the symposia on “Coatings and Surface Treatments for Medical Applications” and “Thin Films for Photovoltaics and Batteries.” In addition, SVC will offer 12 traditional sessions focused on core technologies.
Peter Edelman, R&D fellow, Boston Scientific, Maple Grove, MN, will deliver the keynote address for the Coatings and Surface Treatments for Medical Applications symposium. He will address “Analytical Challenges for Medical Device Coating Characterization.”
Rolf Brendel, director, Inst. for Solar Energy Research Hamelin, Germany, is the keynote speaker for the Symposium on Thin Films for Photovoltaics and Batteries. He will address “Thin Films in Today’s and Tomorrow’s Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaics.”
For more information on the Technical Program, click here.
TechCon is deep in scholarly courses, but there are some fun networking events, too. They include the following:
- Sunday, April 21—SVC Foundation Golf Tournament, noon
- Sunday, April 21—Awards Ceremony and Welcome Reception in the Historical Biltmore Hotel, 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 22—Young Members Group/Mentors Meeting, 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 23—Eighth Annual 5K Fun Run & Walk, 6:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 23—Ruth’s Chris Steak House Networking Event, 6:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 24—Beer Blast, 3:30 p.m.
TechCon 2013 will feature exhibits from approximately 125 companies involved in the world of vacuum coating To see a list of exhibitors, click here.