- January 06, 2008, pffc-online.com
CHICAGO, IL | The Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce and Right Management Consultants announce that Alcan Packaging Food Americas has won the 2007 Right Workplace Award. The award recognizes the company's people practices that have created workplace excellence and have impacted successful business results. Alcan's win is a result of the company's strategic human resources planning and programs, many of which were initiated as early as 2004 to address M&A integration issues. Key was Alcan Integrated Management System (AIMS).
In identifying Alcan Packaging as a 2007 award recipient, the judging committee made note of the company's significant results metrics. Among Alcan Packaging's accomplishments:
- Between 2004 and 2007, workplace injuries fell from 4.61% to 1.17%, a 75% decrease.
- During the same period, the company achieved a 55% average internal promotion rate, with a decrease of 3% in voluntary salaried turnover.
- More than 200 employees have received Green Belts after undergoing Lean Six Sigma training. By 2009, the goal is to have all 4,800 employees certified as White, Yellow, Green or Black Belts.
- Participation in the global employee survey increased 32%, with more than 87% of employees responding.
- Community outreach programming, limited in 2003, now includes involvement and volunteer work in the United Way, Greater Chicago Food Depository, as well as more than 150 other charities. Additionally, the company has adopted Fuller Elementary School in Chicago.
- Work-Life Effectiveness initiatives have generated flexible hour and job sharing programs.
- Within the last three years, Food Americas plants doubled its solid waste recycling rates to 76%, or 23 million pounds.