- April 12, 2006, pffc-online.com
New technology for enhancing the performance and value of polyethylene (PE), coupled with industry-leading innovations in polymer additives and colorants for polypropylene (PP), will highlight Milliken Chemical’s participation in NPE 2006, June 19-23, 2006, in Chicago. Visitors to Milliken’s booth (3018) will see Hyperform HPN-20E—the first in a series of Milliken offerings for PE—designed to optimize the use of PE in blown film applications. Performance enhancements include improved clarity and physical properties, increased film throughput, and reduced manufacturing costs.Visitors also will see technology for two-stage Injection Stretch Blow Molding (ISBM) that allows beverage containers to be manufactured from clarified polypropylene (cPP) on the same equipment and at comparable production rates as PET.
Products on display include:
- Millad 3988—A clarifying agent, which not only makes polypropylene clear, but also speeds crystallization, resulting in pre-form production rates competitive with PET.
- ClearTint Colorants—Designed specifically to work in conjunction with Millad, ClearTint colorants provide the brightest, cleanest and most transparent colors available for polypropylene. Benefits include deep rich shades unavailable with traditional pigment colors, which are FDA compliant, non-migrating and non-extracting. ClearTint provides users with consistent color matching capabilities on a global basis.
- ClearShield—A homogenous, non-settling liquid polymer created exclusively as an additive for PET containers to provide maximum protection against damaging UV rays without imparting color to the package. It protects against loss of flavor, nutritional value and color of beverages. Incorporated during the resin manufacturing process or during container molding, ClearShield does not impact the color or clarity of PET containers and will not migrate into beverages, food or other products. It is FDA compliant.
- Hyperform Nucleating Agents—Hyperform high-speed nucleating agents promote extremely fast crystallization times for a variety of applications using polypropylene or polyethylene. Hyperform also offers faster processing speeds and increased productivity of high density polyethylene (HDPE) in extrusion blow molding (EBM). Use of Hyperform technology in HDPE packaging applications can yield cycle time improvements of 10 to 15 percent while maintaining critical bottle specifications.