- November 15, 2010
ARLINGTON, VA | PACK EXPO Intl., a Packaging Machinery Mfrs. Inst.-sponsored event, held on October 31—November 3 in Chicago, IL, at McCormick Place, reveals its attendance and exhibitor figures. The numbers indicate the show was “definitely a success,” according to Charles D. Yuska, president and CEO of PACK EXPO. The event was co-located with CPP Expo (Converting & Package Printing Expo), sponsored by H.A. Bruno.
Further proof of the show’s success, says Yuska, is the fact that an increase in exhibitors and demand for exhibit space at PMMI’s Las Vegas venue next year point to a good start for 2011.
“PACK EXPO International 2010 was definitely a success,” says Yuska. “Traffic was consistently strong, and the exhibitors I spoke with were very pleased with the quality of leads they received. I think it’s also significant that exhibitors were queued up to reserve booth space for PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011. It demonstrates the value exhibitors were receiving from this year’s event, and what they know to expect from PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011.”
The Vegas venue is slated for September 26—28, 2011, at the Las Vegas Convention Ctr. and once again will include co-location with CPP.
Statistics collected by PMMI present an encouraging picture for the packaging-related show and industry:
• Attendees (including CPP Expo attendance): 44,294 in 2010—an additional 491 people over 2008
• Exhibitor Personnel (including CPP Expo): 20,351 in 2010–a decline of 3,498 people from 2008
• Total Attendance: 64,645 in 2010—a decline of 3,007 from 2008
• International Attendance: 4,453 in 2010—an increase of 855 people (or 23.9%) over 2008
• Number of Exhibiting Companies: 1,835 in 2010—an increase of 132 companies over 2008
• Net Square Footage: 1,054,505 in 2010—a decline of 29,796 sq ft from 2008
The show also featured a number of new pavilions as the result of establishing partnerships with several organizations, which, according to Yuska: “. . . . delivered value on and off the show floor. We had a strong contingent of partners who each brought an extra level of value to attendees in general, and their members and constituents in particular.” Among these partnerships were the following:
• The Assn. of Independent Corrugated Converters (AICC) debuted its Corrugated & Packaging Solutions Showcase as a way to showcase members as well as promote the association. Additionally, AICC participated in the Responsible Packaging Booth found in the Association Pavilion.
• The Grocery Mfrs. Assn. (GMA) inaugurated its Manufacturing Excellence Conference, co-located with PACK EXPO Intl., focusing on the critical issues of operational reliability, product safety, and sustainability.
• The Inst. of Packaging Professionals (IoPP) presented its Packaging Learning Ctr. conference program with sessions focusing on a range of topics that are top of mind with packaging professionals, especially sustainability and food safety.
• National Confectioners Assn. (NCA) sponsored and debuted the Confectionery Pavilion, which actually sold-out of space.
• The NPTA Alliance (formerly the National Paper Trade Assn.) dubuted with the DistriPak Pavilion, focusing on trends affecting paper, packaging and supplies distribution—trends that impact the entire packaging and processing supply chain.
• PAC Green Den, “Fast Tracking Sustainable Innovation,” conducted by PAC—the Packaging Assn., invited innovators to a half-day panel to present their latest sustainability-supportive products to an audience of brand owners.
• The Resuable Packaging Assn. (RPA) introduced its Reusable Packaging Pavilion and hosted a series of educational sessions and workshops.
For next year, says Yuska, PMMI is announcing yet another of continuing innovations: “The Pharmaceutical Pavilion will launch at PACK EXPO Las Vegas 2011. It’s just one of the many ways next year’s show will be an experience you can’t miss.”