- December 01, 2010, By Edward D. Cohen, Edward D. Cohen Consulting
ST. PAUL, MN | At the 15th biannual Symposium of the Intl. Society of Coating Science and Technology (ISCST), held September 12-15, opportunities flourished for networking and for the exchange of information between academia and industry. The symposium traditionally has provided a forum for both academic and industrial researchers to discuss the latest research on application and solidification of thin liquid films.
An impressive attendance list included 300 people from 13 countries, representing 85 companies and 25 universities. Loraine Francis was chair and Blake Kolb was co-chair. A total l00 technical papers and posters were presented.
Several awards were presented to deserving recipients, including the following:
- The John A. Tallmadge Award recipient was Prof. Ramon Cerro from the Univ. of Alabama, recognized for his outstanding contributions to the understanding of coating science by experimental and theoretical research, exemplary teaching and mentoring, and cultivating university and international collaborations.
- The L.E. Scriven Young Investigator award recipients were Prof. Satish Kumar and Prof. H. Pirouz Kavehpour. Prof. Kumar was recognized for outstanding sustained contributions to the mechanics of solid-fluid interaction, exemplary teaching and mentoring, and distinguished service to the coating community. Prof. Kavehpour was recognized for his innovative work in the fields of interfacial fluid mechanics and direct observation of precursor films ahead of wetting contact lines.
- The Edward D. Cohen Innovative Technology Award recipient was Benjamin Schmidt-Hansberg, who earned this award for the paper “In-situ monitoring the film formation of solution cast polymer-fullerene blends for organic solar cells.”
- A Founders Award marked the retirement of Edgar Gutoff from the ISCST board for his ongoing contributions and service to the growth and development of the ISCST. The board presented a second Founders Award to Edward D. Cohen for his vision and efforts in founding the ISCST.
What's happening at your company? Send your news to firstname.lastname@example.org.